Illinois Student Senate

Illinois Student Senate is the representative body for the students at the University of Illinois. This blog allows members to discuss a variety of aspects about their lives, including but not limited to their involvement in ISS. ANY OPINIONS EXPRESSED HERE DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THAT OF ILLINOIS STUDENT SENATE AS A WHOLE.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

The ISS beat

The hookah industry won a huge victory yesterday as the ISS supported exemptions from the clean air act. The exemptions, pushed by Senator's Hassen Al-Shawaf, Laura Engle, and Joseph Vartan Danavi, gave the hookah industry leverage with the Champaign City Council. While the Illinois Student Senate recognized the need for clean restaurant and bar environments, it also recognized the needs of the blossoming CU hookah bar industry.

The move came one week after the same coalition blocked moves of Co-President Rohrscheib to appropriate Union funds on Illinois Student Senate light-up bounce balls. The coalition attacked Rohrscheib's ultra-left wing tax and spend programs.

Rohrscheib later commented, "but I want my bouncy balls."

The coalition, dubbed the "dynamic trio," called the no vote as "a win for the students."

Rohrscheib has come under political pressure in recent weeks for pushing his leftist authoritarian agenda. A recent report, published by members of ISS's shadow cabinet, called the environment surrounding Rohrschieb's constitutional amendment package as "highly suspicious."

Rohrschieb has hinted at resignation although most ISS members do not take him seriously. "He says he wants to resign every other week," Senator Danavi said.

Hassen Al-Shawaf
Graduate Student

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've actually seen Josh write out a letter of resignation. I, when being asked to sign as a witness to his resignation, refused to accept it as a legally binding contract. I would much rather impeach him.

12:04 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh did the same thing in front of me and asked me to be the vitness but then threw the paper...I wonder who he has to hand the resignaion in to actually resign,..I think it might be me...

12:37 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

imagine a senate without the horrendous dictator....I know, I know its too good to be true.

Reality is not going to stop me from dreaming.

10:22 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought u were trying to stop josh from resigning because ryan will be prez if he does...

2:22 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh is ok, on the whole.

2:25 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hereby accept Joe Danavi's resignation from Illinois Student Senate.

2:31 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In all honestly, I was seriously considering taking an indefinite leave from ISS because I was feeling burnt out. I care too much about the work we're doing to just sit back and do nothing to help. I am going to make a bigger effort to micromanage less and just provide general directions and help just when the committee chairs ask for help.

Danavi's resignation should help a lot too ;-)

2:36 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Derek - you've never been busy, not even one day of your life

3:34 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home