Illinois Student Senate

Illinois Student Senate is the representative body for the students at the University of Illinois. This blog allows members to discuss a variety of aspects about their lives, including but not limited to their involvement in ISS. ANY OPINIONS EXPRESSED HERE DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THAT OF ILLINOIS STUDENT SENATE AS A WHOLE.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Smoke Up Johnnie!

What is the issue/problem?
Smoking in bars.

Where am I coming from?
Social smoker limit of 5 cigarettes a year with New Years Day being an all-you-can-smoke free day.

What's your flavor?
Parliament Lights of course. (tried them in Banja Luka, Bosnia)

What's the opinion?
Personally I think that as long as big tobacco continues to lace their smoky treats with arsenic and use cancer inducing chemicals during cultivation, that they should be banned from all public bars (indoors only) and still be allowed in beer gardens etc.

Why are Bar owners Fools for not wanting this ban too?
Let's face it, IF smoking is banned indoors people who otherwise fill the awkward silence with the puff of a smoke house treat might instead be enticed into buying another drink instead. Last time I checked, most bars made more money off drinks than 'mokes. If bars/clubs would like sales to go up and minimize future cancer based lawsuits while doing nothing at all, they should ban indoor smoking.

Exceptions?
Hookah bars.

Psychic Senator

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hookah exception?!? Do you want to ban based on the type of tobacco; what about pipe smoke, cigars? Is it okay to have a cigarette bar that would be exempt from the ban?

The fact that you think a smoking ban will make bars more money is irrelevant. Business owners have every right to make unprofitable business decisions, and I for one think they should retain that right. People who own bars should have some control over their operation, I'm sure they would entertain the idea of a self-inflicted smoking ban if they received enough patron feedback. Why take away the decision altogether?

__The Marlboro Man

10:42 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it is very hard to convince a simple business owner that a complex train of logical reasoning is not a ruthless ploy to destroy their trade but one that seeks to make them more money. I will try to usurp the inherent convolution in the meandering logic by a 2 small skits.

Cletus: What are we gonna do tonight Jethro? We can't smoke at the bars no more.

Jethro: How'sabout we stay here and get our drunk on?

Cletus: But there ain't no girls here and I don't thinks yer purdy.

Jethro: I reckon we go on out to them dang tootin' bars and smoke outside.
_______________________________

Nervous Girl at the Bar: I hate not being able to smoke at the bar, now it looks like I am just sitting here doing nothing. It's like everyone is just looking at me doing nothing. I need to do something so that I don't look so bored or no one will talk to me. Maybe I will have another drink since I can't smoke and try to think of something to say.

12:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home